Burns' Travels In India And Around The World

The adventures of an occasional world traveler

Saturday, March 12, 2011

The trip back, and the work week

One thing that I forgot to mention earlier. When I was checking into the Goldfinch, there was a flurry of activity at the door, and in swept a famous "music directory" named Gurukiran (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurukiran). He is quite distinctive, and later on we saw posters advertising a concert that he was giving. The hotel staff seemed pretty good; they did not all rush to fawn over him, although I'm sure he was treated well. Continuing the story: After visiting the happy couple on stage, we all headed back. Shyam had rented a hotel room in Upupi for the day, so many of us went back to change. Clarete, beautiful as she was in her Sari, was especially happy to be able to walk normally again. I was happy to be back in a T-shirt, etc. I feel like I wrote this somewhere, but it turns out that it would be faster to go south to Mangalore, then east through the ghats than to try to cut off the two sides of a triangle. I'm not sure if the alternative would have gone through the ghats in a different way, but if so I can see why...we took "the good road" and C&A were pleased at what good shape it was in. WHen they had last come (Christmas, I think) long stretches had not been paved, and it was terribly bumpy. Now it was mostly paved, but with seemingly 100Km of switchbacks, not to mention the usual long-distance travel issues, it was still pretty tedious. We did stop in Mangalore to get some famous Mangalore ice cream at Alol's favorite place. I had a "slab" of coffee ice cream and it really was delicious. So back we went, this time with Shyam. Alol got a phone call at one point and turned the driving over to Shyam, who drove all the way up the ghats to Hassan and beyond. We stopped for dinner at some point along the route (at Hassan? I don't remember) and then continued on. We eventually got into Bangalore and to my hotel at around 1AM. It was awfully nice of them to drop me off first; I have no idea if it was really first in a logical route of if they went out of their way. In any case, I had not trouble at all checking in, went to my room and dropped off. The hotel is very nice. Probably the nicest I have been in in Bangalore (not that any have been horrible, IMO). Actually my first trip for my company in 2005 was a last-minute deal where they put us up at the Leila Palace. That is not nice; that is decadent! Not to mention wildly expensive. In any case, the Zuri is very nice. Everything works fine; there are several restaurants on the premises, the bed is reasonably comfortable, and they have a tub with abundant hot water. What more can I ask for. Oh, yes, a swimming pool. Have not tried that yet. I decided not to go to the office right away, but rather hang around working in the room, eat lunch here, and then go in for the afternoon. Lots of nice reunions when I went in, including a few people who did not know I was coming. (Since the company did not sponsor it, there was no need for lots of people to approve it!) I got a spot to sit near the pantry (where I get coffee!). I'm not sure if I have mentioned it on this blog, but I no longer work for the group that I used to visit in Bangalore, so I have no official reason at all to be there. However, I am working (for my new group) and being in an office is generally nice (people, coffee, direct network connection, etc). I figured there would be a place for me to sit (using Sandeep's office if nothing else) and sure enough. So I met a lot of people from my old project (and even was able to contribute to a couple issues they were having). I also have so far met two people that are either working on my new project, or have been recently. I got names from someone in my new job and sent them mail. They seemed pleased to meet me, and I am always happy to make connections like this. On Wednesday, I think, within the space of 15 minutes, a lot of people invited me to dinner. It was very nice...but the big surprise was Sandeep calling. He and Sahana are back from Udupi to their home in Bangalore and invited me to dinner for Thursday. Let me copy my description of this event from an email: Last night I was invited to eat with Sandeep and Sahana. I was rather shocked when my phone rang and it was Sandeep. I somehow imagined a honeymoon. Apparently not. Sandeep said they stayed in Mangalore on the night after the wedding (and must have been there during the day also) and took the overnight train from M to Bangalore. 12 hours! Well ok, so they are back here to prepare for the reception and set up housekeeping. Nope. Duh, I should have realized: Sandeep's parents moved to Bangalore 10+ years ago, and naturally they live together. And naturally when Sahana joined the family, she joined them. So I had dinner with Sandeep, his father, and his brother. His mother and Sahana follow the old tradition of serving the men and eating later. Although I was not shocked, it does seem very strange to be served like that. S's mother cooked the meal... Sahana had come with Sandeep to pick me up at the hotel. What a long trip! I think it must have been 90 minutes due to the usual horrible traffic. The traffic is made worse by the fact that they are trying to improve it. They are building "flyovers", that is an express section to the roadway which is elevated above the local roads, so no lights and interscections. I wonder if they will allow rickshaws etc on it. Dinner: Delicious! We had Marsala Dosa, chapati with another kind of vegetable sauce (probably called curry, but not with the tastes that we expect of curry), onion Pakora (also called Bhajis, I think), and best of all: Mango curry. Wow, was that good! The mangos are special "cooking magnos" not the normal "eating mangoes" that we usually see. They appear to be lime-sized. There were 1 or 2 in the sauce, but I think mostly for show. The sauce was smooth and creaming, and eaten over rice (with fingers). Sandeep and his father were very nice telling me how to mix up the rice and curry. We laughed together when it was to hot for my fingers. We laughted together when I dropped things. Etc. I have actually almost gotten the hang of tearing off bits of chapati and other bread with one hand. (Hold the close end with thumb and ring finger; push with index and middle fingers). In any case, I again refused a spoon; just like eating with chopsticks at a Chinese restaurant, the food just somehow seems more real when you eat it the intended way. (To be clear, the intended way is with fingers...) We sat around for a while after that (and the women ate and then joined us). I did find out in the conversations that 1) They use Ramavana as a family name very much as we do. The entire family has that name, and someone marrying can optionally take that name. (Government paperwork like passports favor husband and wife having the same name I was told.) 2) Sandeep's father worked in a bank until he retired a couple years ago. I asked if he had used computers (both Sandeep and Sahana are in hi-tech; not sure about his brother). Mr. R said that most of his career, things were done by hand. Only in the last few years were computers coming into the area where he worked. (He has been retired around 2 years). 3) Sahana's henna was still evident, but starting to fade and/or run a bit. She said it goes away over a few weeks and months. After a while, Sandeep took me back alone...he says when he drives he usually waits until this late, so the long drive at 9+PM was no problem. I think he is probably being nice. He made an extra round trip that day, one of them in horrible traffic (but at least with Sahana). Last night (Friday) I ate with one of my longest acquaintences in India, Nil. He is now married and has a son about the same age as my grandson, but he came over to the hotel alone (he lives nearby) and we ate at the in-hotel Italian restaurant. I thought it was ok but nothing special (I had some pasta and tomato sause with basil); he had pizza. I've had the pizza here at the hotel, and it is very good, IMO. And finally today, I'm just mostly hanging around the hotel. Doing some work. Doing some reading. Maybe I'll go swimming. The reception is tonight...

1 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Burns, thanks for the detailed journal of your latest visit to India. The description of your experience of the sights and people definitely makes me want to visit.

Gary

3/15/2011 7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home